As well as an actor, theatre maker and teacher, I am a drama coach for film, TV and theatre actors. I work with professional performers and young actors through to HSC students and young hopefuls auditioning for drama schools.
I was the personal drama coach for Jessica Mauboy on the top rating show The Secret daughter. I was specifically requested by the start-up director of the series, Leah Purcell, to prepare the lead actress for her role and equip her with the tools necessary to carry the show with confidence.
I work closely with directors to draw out the performance they are looking for and can work as a conduit between director and performer when direction gets lost in translation.
I use all the tools available to me from my fifteen years as a professional actor and educator to help draw out the performance that the director is looking for in each moment.
I aim to give a wholistic coaching experience that allows performers to grow in their performance.
I have a great ability to equip newcomers to the film and TV world by giving them a toolbelt of acting techniques to use in their performance, and guiding them to find a personal connection to the material.
Some of the work I do with actors includes:
- Scene analysis and breakdown of beats in the script
- Strategies to allow performer to find ways into each scene
- Serving the writing
- Serving the director's vision
- Working on actions and objectives for particular scenes
- Finding depth and variety in character choices
- Developing strategies to communicate different thoughts with each new idea
- Developing an understanding of different approaches to performance
- Character development including emotional arc, physicality and vocal work
- Instilling a sense of confidence and self-belief
- Allowing the performer to make strong, personal, creative choices that empower their sense of ownership over their work